mālama group PAGE
To Mālama is to take care of, to serve and to honor, to protect and watch over.
This section is specifically for new dancers that are in training with Malu Productions.
ALL INFORMATION INCLUDING VIDEOS, PHOTOS, AND WEB-CONTENT IS CONFIDENTIAL AND IS THE PROPERTY OF MALU PRODUCTIONS. YOU ARE NOT AUTHORIZED TO SHARE THIS PAGE WITH ANYONE OUTSIDE OF MALU PRODUCTIONS.
Aloha Mālama Group, welcome to your Cast Page! We will utilize this page to post announcements, updates, show calendars, as well as many other links and documents that are important for these first few weeks of your training. Please begin to familiarize yourself with this Cast page and check it regularly.
We hoped you enjoyed and learned a lot at your orientation on Wednesday night. The quiz we took together must be done individually by all of you, along with others that are listed below. Be sure to complete them by the deadline, as this will help ensure your success in your pre-show trainings.
We look forward to seeing you all at your first training next week! Please stay up to date with your group page as we will continually add important information. Mahalo!
- Sections 1.1.1 and 1.1.3 must be completed by Tuesday, 10/3.
- Sections 2.1.0 and 2.2.0 must be completed by Tuesday, 10/10.
- Sections 2.2.2 - 2.2.8 must be completed by Tuesday,, 10/24.
1) Accelerated Dance Training (ADT): Training that takes place at the Kama's (Malu Office).
2) Pre-Show (PS) Training: Training takes place at Diamond Head/Hale Koa Lu'au for Pre-Show ONLY.
3) Jumping in Show Training: Training takes place on stage at Diamond Head/Hale Koa Lu'au. You will be training on stage during the live show!
- The Training phase is the time to learn the dances in a show and get comfortable performing them on stage. Try out a number on stage once you feel you are ready. During the Training phase, you will not receive compensation (ADT, PreShow Training, In-Show Training)
- Since you are not a scheduled dancer, each time you learn a number and are approved to perform it, you should try it out in the show.
- The method to getting thru the Training phase quickly is to practice, practice, practice, jump in the show as a non-scheduled dancer as much as possible, and make any necessary corrections based on the feedback you receive, by your next show. If you are available, you may begin working immediately in the lu’au pre-shows and our cruise ship embarkation services.
Accelerated dance training (ADT) schedule
TUESDAY - 10/3 - 4:00-7:00pm
WEDNESDAY - 10/4 - 4:00-7:00pm
TUESDAY - 10/10 - 4:00-7:00pm
WEDNESDAY - 10/11 - 4:00-7:00pm
TUESDAY - 10/17 - 4:00-7:00pm
WEDNESDAY - 10/18 - 4:00-7:00pm
TUESDAY - 10/24 - 4:00-7:00pm
WEDNESDAY 10/25 - 4:00-7:00pm
WHAT TO DO AFTER YOU COMPLETE AN ADT SESSION
Please use the link below to complete your post-accelerated dance training summary after every training session you attend. This helps us to schedule which songs you are ready to jump in the show for and which songs you still need to practice and how you are feeling about them.
IMMEDIATE WORK OPPORTUNITIES
We have opportunities for you to begin working before you actually learn our shows. These opportunities do not require you to know our dances. They allow you to generate income during your training period.
Opportunity #1: NCL Honolulu (Norwegian Cruise Lines)
- ABOUT: We have a cruise ship greeting every Saturday. This involves lei greeting, taking photos with guests, and interacting with guests.
- RATE: Starting pay is $19/hr. There are multiple shifts that range between 10:00am - 6:00pm.
- TRAINING: In order for you to take advantage of this you would need to COMPLETE& PASS 3 three-hour training at the location on a Saturday. This is a total of 9 hours of training. Depending on your responsiveness to your training/instruction at NCL Honolulu, you may be required to complete only 2 trainings. This will be determined by the end of your 2nd training. Once you have completed this training session you may begin working the next Saturday if you are available. If you are interested in working on the cruise ship on Saturdays, please select your training date and time!
Opportunity #2: Lūʻau Pre-Shows
- ABOUT: Each of our Lūʻaus have a 1 hour pre-show portion in which you do not need to dance. This pre-show involves lei greeting, taking photos with guests, simple cultural activities, and interacting with our guests.
- RATE: Pre-Show rate is $25 for the 1 hour pre-show. Working the Pre-Show while you are learning the show allows you to get very comfortable with the schedule, our style of performance, our style of service, and it is a nice way to ease you into our fast paced shows.
- TRAINING: In order to work at our pre-show you have to COMPLETE & PASS 2 NCL Honolulu Trainings & 3 Lūʻau Pre-Show Trainings at the designated Lūʻau. Below is the information for each of our current Lūʻau.
Diamond Head Lūʻau Pre-show rate $25
Show Days: Sun, Mon, Thurs, & Fri
Call Time: 4:30pm Pre-show: 5:25pm-6:20pm
Hale Koa Lūʻau Pre-show rate $25
Show Days: Mon & Thurs
Call Time: 4:30pm Pre-show: 5:15pm-6:20pm
If you are interested in training and then working the pre-shows, please select your training date for NCL Honolulu first in your availability.
- Reminder: As you submit your availability, things may change or come up once the calendar is published and you may not be able to make what you have been scheduled for.
- If this happens, it is your job to notify Mahina, Michelle, and Admin via a SEPARATE group text AS SOON AS POSSIBLE if you are not going to be able to make a scheduled training, whether it be ADT, PS Training, or In-Show Training.
- When notifying, make sure you create a SEPARATE group text that is only with yourself, Mahina, Michelle, and Admin.
show calendar terminology
MĀLAMA - YOUR GROUP NAME: To take care of, to serve and to honor, to protect and watch over.
NDIT - NEW DANCER IN TRAINING
PS - PRE-SHOW
SO - SHOW ONLY
PST - PRE-SHOW TRAINING
ADT - ACCELERATED DANCE TRAINING
LNDT - LATE NIGHT DANCE TRAINING
TRAIN IN SHOW - YOU WILL DANCE A SONG IN THE SHOW
(p) - Preliminary Status
t - Training in Show (No Compensation)
Call-Time is a term mainly used in the entertainment industry that means the time you are due on the set.
dance TRAINING resources
This content allows you to reference all of the dances/songs you will learn at our training. We will be constantly updating this content with better versions, so please check regularly. If you find any issues or have a question, please contact a Malu Admin with your request.
ALL INFORMATION INCLUDING VIDEOS AND PHOTOS IS CONFIDENTIAL AND IS THE PROPERTY OF MALU PRODUCTIONS.. YOU ARE NOT AUTHORIZED TO SHARE THESE FILES WITH ANYONE OUTSIDE OF MALU PRODUCTIONS.
On-Stage and Off-Stage Performance
- Dancers Ability & Technique
- Unison with other Dancers
- Stage Presence & Personality
- Dress Code
- Timeliness - Arrival (Call-Time) & Availability Submission
- Time Management when Preparing for Shows
- Communication with Cast, Admin, Michelle
As you transition into a paid performer, you will go through an evaluation process for each venue. There are 2 areas that we are developing our dancers for. They are on-stage performance, and off-stage performance. These are equally important and you cannot become a fully paid performer while only mastering one. We have methods in place that will help you perfect both on and off stage performance, but it is ultimately up to you and what methods you take to perfect these 2 areas.
online learning modules
DIAMOND HEAD LUAU
PRE-SHOW "ON-SITE TRAINING" GUIDELINES
You must read these prior to your 1st DH pre-show "on-site" training.
SPECIFIC PRE-SHOW STATIONS
You must read these prior to your 3rd DH pre-show "on-site" training.
HALE KOA lU'AU
You must read these prior to your 1st HK pre-show "on-site" training.
SPECIFIC PRE-SHOW STATIONS
You must read these prior to your 3rd or last HK pre-show "on-site" training.
As you progress through your training's and prepare to work, you will be required to read different sections for whichever venue you are training for. The link below has all of the required OLMs and quizzes that will set you up for success. Once you create an account on the OLM Quiz Website, you can begin completing the required sections.
HOW DO I GET PAID?
IMPORTANT CONTACT INFORMATION
MICHELLE KAMA - 808-226-3484
MAHINA (SCHEDULING) - 808-375-7137
MALU ADMINISTRATION - 808-546-0080
Whenever you have a question about scheduling or training, please make sure to text all three of these numbers together in a group text.
*You should NOT be calling the LINE CAPTAIN with questions or issues, please direct all inquires to the correct contacts above.